BBC highlight Audi 2.0 TFSI oil usage ‘issue’

BBC highlight Audi 2.0 TFSI oil usage ‘issue’

Last week’s You & Yours programme on Radio 4 featured a report on Audi cars’ tendency to consume excessive amounts of engine oil.

Customers featured included David Smith of Preston who was asked by his local dealer to perform a ‘consumption test’ on his A5 2.0 Petrol TFSI, only to find the engine needed more oil just 325 miles into the 625 mile test. The subsequent recommendation was a £4,800 engine rebuild with Audi offering to contribute £3,000.

David said: “I believe a car of such pedigree should not need an engine rebuild after 50,000 miles.”

Other drivers reported similar problems. One owner of a 2009 A5 found she’d already ‘topped up’ 8 litres of oil to cover just 700 miles. She was told she would need a £98 diagnostic test, this led to a recommendation to replace the oil separation valve at over £450 with the further option to replace the piston rings at over £3,000.

BBC reporter Joel Moores said Audi did not want to be interviewed but did acknowledge some versions of the 2.0 TFSI were prone to ‘slightly accelerated oil usage’ with Audi expecting oil usage of 0.5 litres every 600 miles.

Audi procedure appears to involve consumption test followed by engine work. Customers have variously been asked to contribute some, all or none of the cost of this work. Audi says any contributions they make are ‘goodwill’ as the cars are outside of warranty.

Audi refers to the problem as ‘an issue’ rather than a fault but in California Audi has been challenged through the courts in a drivers’ class action. It has now offered to repair the fault, reimburse any drivers who’ve paid for this type of work, extend the warranty from 4 to 8 years and advertise this offer.

You can listen to the item now using the ‘More Details’ button below.

48 Comments

1. We have rebuilt many of these engines and now the 1.2tsi and 1.4 tfsi are causing concern

2. Hi there,

This is s total farce and Audi can take a run and jump as far as j am concerned. I will never darken their door again.

I have an Q5 2.0 Steptronic which I paid £41k for 5 years ago.

This excessive oil problem started with me after the car had gone about 10000 miles. I complained at least 10 times when eventually they took it in and we did the oil test. This resulted in a full engine rebuild which they claimed was about £6k. I was charged nothing. Neither I should be.

The car now has 52k miles on it and is 5 years 2 months old. It has been fully serviced at Audi never been anywhere else.

In that 5 years there has been an engine rebuild, major steering fault, petrol cap not opening, rear window jets replaced twice, central locking fault. The other day the lock went on the back door (£400) and the MMI central control unit went (£3000). I have telephoned Audi and complained but they will not contribute. Their reason? They rebuilt my engine.

I am raging with them as why did they have to rebuild an engine? Because there’s was not fit for purpose. I have taken it to Trading Standards under Sale of Goods Act (you have 6 years) and I am writing to Audi Germany.

Moral of the story. Don’t buy Audi especially new and don’t buy s second hand one with a 2.0 TFSI engine.

Audi made at least 20k off if this motor and they are basically selling rubbish.

• I bought an A5 2 tfsl cabrio 7 months ago, put 12 litre oil in the engine. It’s a 10 plate, not Audi warranty at the moment. Audi doing a free test for the oil consumption. l have to drive it 600 miles now to see what happens l don’t think they going to fix it free never buy one again stuck with it at the moment. Can we not all get together take Audi to court?

3. Hopefully this helps people, as much as it has helped me. Thanks for the post.

Audi Service

4. My son in law just got an A5 2.0 litre TFSI, it uses 3 litres of oil every 500 miles. Myself, I have had an Audi 100 in 83 and two A6. Audi need to help their customers. My son in law is getting no help from Audi at ALL. We both follow Audi Motorsport. NO MORE WILL BUY A BMW.

• Recomend changing the pcv as per my coment. Likely positive pressure building and forcing out the oil. Not expensive and plenty diy videos on YouTube.

• Careful there, I had a 335i – one of the jets failed, had to replace all six at a coast of £2k. BMW spent more than that fobbing off my complaint

5. My 2006 a3 has the same issue. Turns out after some long trawling on vag group forums the turned out to be a poor crank case pcv. Its a simple fix as it on the front of the engine on the valve cover. Bought new parts. 20 minutes simple diy install sorted…… it still uses about an extra 2 litres per 12k but its normal for the engine

6. I just bought a 2005 95k miles audi 2 litre tfsi car three months in the oil chain snapped I’m being told I need a new engine and a common problem grrrr!

7. I have a 2013 A5 with very low mileage (5000m)it has used 1 ltr of oil so far.Audi say this is within their spec.Will this consumption get worse as the car does more mileage,and is there anything I should do before the car runs out of it’s warranty.I previously had a 1.8 ltr A5 which never used a drop of oil in 5 years and 40000m

8. I just bought an Audi A3 2010 1.8 tfsi. My oil goes every 70 miles I drive, not even 600 miles like some of you have stated. Spoke to Audi and there’s a month wait for booking, how can I top up oil every 2 days for a month. What a joke.

• I also have an A3 2010 1.8TFSI. Using 1ltr oil every 1200kms

• I have a Black Edition 2010 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI and I’m having issues with excessive oil consumption over the last few months that seems to be getting worst. I’ve been keeping a log and I use 1L of Castrol oil 5w-30 every 700 miles on average until the light comes back on. Seems like I’m constantly filling it up. What does Audi recommend for oil consumption? How should I approach this issue?

• 2010 A3 Black Edition, getting through a litre of oil every 250 miles……although it did swallow a litre doing 80 miles the other day, super! Anyone had any joy or have any tips?

9. Bought a 5 year old Audi a3 1.8 tsfi from a dealer in stoke just over 3 months ago with 42k on the clock. After 4 weeks and about 450 miles later oil warning light came on. Put 2 litres of castrol in. 8 weeks and about 900 miles later oil light came on again. This time only put 1 litre in and measured the mileage it lasted. Less than 450 miles later oil light on again. Took it to local mechanic who had a look and spoke to somebody at Audi who said it more than likely piston rings. Now have it booked in at Audi for them to do tests and confirm the problem but have to wait 2 and half weeks before they can look at it. Chose an Audi as I thought it would be a solid reliable car to run my 6 month old about in. 🙁

10. My wife has a 59 plate A5 2.0 tfsi, it was consuming alot of oil. Contacted Audi, they t up for the 600 mile oil consumption test and the oil light came on after a week. Audi are now replacing the Engine free of charge.

11. My A5 is booked in for piston ring replacement and Audi have agreed to cover the cost. Just a thought – do you feel compensation should be paid for the cost of all the oil I have been putting in the engine over the last 2 years since I bought the car?

12. My 2009 A5 cabriolet 52,000 miles
    is currently with Capital Audi NEWPORT, having done the 620 mile test as requested, oil light on less than 400 miles… Latest comments from reception is engine rebuild with bigger pistons… Will update the final conclusion later.

13. 11 plate A5, just failed it’s consumption test today -365 miles and red light on. Audi sending paper work off to get rebuild done through ‘warranty’. Up to now cost me nothing, we’ll wait and see what the next week brings whilst await Audi phone call….

• Let us know how you get on with that. Currently doing the oil consumption test on a 58 A4

• Ps. What’s your service history like?

14. Bought my 2010 A5 on Friday 31 July, have already put a litre of oil in today covering 300 miles! and £17.99 a litre! awaiting a reply from Audi.

15. In the act of buying a 10 plate Audi A4 AVANT Quattro 2.0 TFSI SE Steptronic/Auto from a dealer. What can I do to avoid this problem ?

16. I have just bought a 2010 1.8t tfsi s line with 47000 on the clock, and have put 3/4 of a gallon of oil in the engine in just over a month, unbelievable amout of oil in such a short period of time, having covered only 500 miles, called the garage from where I purchased the car and it has been booked in for next week, fingers crossed

17. My a4 2009 2.0 TFSI has been guzzling oil and just heard about this problem. It’s out of warranty. I’ve contacted Audi so let’s see….

18. Audi A3 1.8 TFSI 2010 piston rings gone, was bought privately, think Audi will accept that it is a common fault and a costly one at that? Any thoughts on whether or not Audi will help with a repair?

19. I have a 2009 A3 1.8 TFSi bought in 2012. Currently the car had under 55000 miles.

Car was serviced in July 2015 and 3 weeks ago emission lights came on. Garage said its the timing belt. Drove it for about 10 miles and then the only way the car would start is if i step on the gas. I then broke down. The car would not start at all. Eventually got it to Audi and spoke to customer relations who made a rather promising offer to help!! Yeah right!!

Service centre called me and said it is the timing belt and cylinders thats not taking in fuel. That i need to pay for diagnostics and if i want to go ahead… i must pay £2400 in labour only to open up the engine. Excluding replacement parts and more labour to get the engine fitted and back up and running. So overall I was looking £6-8k on repairs. The dealership currently has my car and apparently it holds no value. Although should I want a replacement they can give me a discount (which they give to everyone anyway).

Urgent advice please? Should I scrap the car myself? I dont think i want to get another AUDI.

20. Hi,
    I bought an 11 reg a5 tfsi 2 ltr Audi about two years ago and have had to put oil in it on a regular basis but a couple of weeks ago the red oil low warning symbol came on so I took it to the garage and he drained oil to see how much was in ( as the a5 does not have a dip stick ) it ha 3 litres in it but he topped it up to the recommended full amount of 4.2 litres it ran with no warning lights for 3 miles then red warning reappeared so back to garage to replace the oil sensor ( at a cost of £140 ) again it ran without warnings for about 3 miles then oil warning back on. Do we know if Audi are now accepting responsibility for this problem or is it pot luck who gets it sorted for free?

21. I bought a 2010 A3 1.8 TFSI in December and have been battling with the dealer ever since over the amount of oil the car is using (1 ltr every 350 miles ), it is now in their workshop for a engine rebuild on a 70 /30 split cost ! to be honest I dont think I should have to pay anything but 30% is better than the lot so agreed in order to fix a car which otherwise I really like. The car has only done 66,000 miles with full service history, so I find it terrible so many of us are in this situation with what is meant to be a reputable car, my girlfriend has a 206 we paided £700 for and its done 117,000 mile and never uses a drop. When i asked at Audi if they would cover under warranty I was told the piston problem only affected A4 and A5 2.0 TFSI engines …… well that’s clearly not the case and they are refusing to admit issues on other engines. Is there anything we can do to help each other ?

22. We’ve got a 2009 2.0 petrol A5 which we’ve had from new, as it was a company car which my missus bought outright when she left that job in 2010. In the first year we had it I had vaguely noticed it seemed to use more oil than her previous company cars (Mercedes, Freelander, VW, Peugeot) & when it went in for service I asked her to mention it to the Audi dealership. We were told that Audi’s generally have a slightly increased oil consumption, that it was inside the normal tolerances, and therefore nothing to worry about. This happened a couple of times, and I resigned myself to topping the oil up more frequently than I was used to with any other car we’ve ever owned.
    It’s got gradually worse over the years, we’d stopped having it serviced at the Audi dealers, because we couldn’t justify their exorbitant charges, & I’ve only recently become aware that the excessive oil usage is a known fault on a particular batch of cars. The car is clearly well out of it’s warranty period, and has been serviced by our local non-Audi garage since 2011, so I expect Audi would laugh me out of their shop if I went in and complained at this late stage. I’ve got to say I’m pretty gutted because I assume the resale value is rock-bottom due to this fault, and I’m stuck with a car that no-one will touch with a barge-pole.

23. Hi I have had an oil consumption test on my A5 1.8 tfsi 2010 plate. It needed to top oil after 340 miles. Audi are saying I need full Audi history to get free work carried out. I’ve replied saying if there’s a fault with Audi’s engines regardless of where I have serviced my car they should fix it for free, as even all those cars which have full Audi service and Audi parts the problem still exists so it’s pointless saying you should have Audi history!
    The other joke was the comment made to me by the rep at the garage where I got my consumption test done saying Audi will not pay in full because I am not loyal to the brand and haven’t had Audi service!!
    What a joke, if Audi service prices were reasonable I would use them, but I trust my local garage more.
    I also had a problem with the water pump!
    Audi scandal as bad as all the emission scandals!!
    Innocent customers spending their savings on Audi cars losing out! Why?! Where’s the decency from Audi?!

• I’m in the exact same boat as you mate, they point blank refuse to pay for the work. What happens next!

24. I am having the same problem with my Audi A5 Sportback 2.0TFSI which I bought from new from Audi. Can anyone help me understand what the warranty is for this engine issue and how I go about getting Audi to fix this free of charge. Thanks.

25. Reply
  26. Audi a4 avant. Bought Tuesday from a dealer. Drove 3 days, sluggish revs whilst idle on Friday morning, return to car to drive home, won’t start, engine ticking at a rapid rate.. Timing chain issue? Full refund from dealer? I think so.. :/

27. Hi Just had my engine rebuilt after oil test showed using a litre of oil after 470 miles free of charge (2010 2.0 litre A5 42,000 miles). Audi of Huddersfield, who were great I have to say say, sure will sort issue out if not a stage 3 repair I believe is a new engine.

• Did Audi Huddersfield charge you for the oil consumption test? My A5 TFSI 2.0 is in Audi Maidstone right now, want to charge me £300. She even told me it used to be free. Was originally quoted £60 from Audi customer services. Fuming. Have asked if money is refundable if this is the problem, she was not sure. Even if they do the engine rebuild for free, assuming the piston rings are the problem, £300 is steep to find out what I already know!

28. I have 2009 plate A5 2.0TFSI using about a litre every 300 miles. Have had the consumption tests done and it has well and truly failed. And now Audi are telling me they won’t carry out the work as I have non Audi service history. Help! I’m sorry but how can they possibly expect me to fork out £5000 to have the engine rebuilt!

29. An update to my post from April this year; I took the car into our local Audi dealership for the oil consumption test, as recommended by the chap on the Audi Customer Services helpline. As expected, it failed, and unprompted, they have offered to fix the fault free of charge, To say I’m stunned would be an understatement. The car is now due to go in to them for 10 days in September, and they’ve given me 5 litres of oil to cover my requirements until then! I suspect this result has come about because we had our first few services done there, and we actually raised concerns over the oil consumption on a couple of occasions, but were fobbed off with the ‘..it’s inside normal tolerances..’ response. Still buzzing about this result, as I’d resigned myself to flogging a 10k car to WBAC.COM at a massive loss. I hope everyone else gets sorted, good luck!

30. Hi I’ve got a a5 2.0tfsi Cabriolet 59k had oil test failed after 200 miles week later in for engine rebuild Audi have paid for the lot and gave me a brand new a5 cab for a week while it’s done not paid anything they’ve been brilliant about it can’t fault them at all. It had full service history 1 Audi 4 local garages

31. We had our engine “fixed” by Audi 2 months after buying it from their approved used selection. However 14 months later the oil pump has died. No warning, they want 10K to replace the engine after spending over £600 on diagnostics.

So anyone who has had the high oil usage issue, I would urge you to get your oil pump checked. It is not a serviceable item so they don’t bother looking at it.

-Jim.

32. Am due to buy an audi a5 S line in a few days.the car has had 2 part service history from audi and the rest independent garages.the car is a 2009 2.litre petrol. After reading hundreds of reviews About audits with oil fault am worried.
    Should I still buy the car or walk away from it? Please I need help!!!!

• Walk away while you can theirs loads of fourums on how bad Audi vehicles are I myself have spent nearly 20k in three years mostly fixing two Tfsi vehicles with Audi uk not helping at all on two Audi full service vehicles their customer services is shockingly bad even after I’ve contacted Audi uk directors and customer service executives nothing got better. STAY WELL AWAY FROM AUDI MATE you’ve been warned any choices you make from reading this are now down to you as I wish someone had done the same for me!

• Reference two non service part, oil chain pump failures on TFSI model

33. Hello,

Any known similar issues for A6 C7 (non-facelift) ,2.0 TFSI?

34. Interesting comments:

I had my audi rebuilt in 2015 (June) and this morning the belt slipped and it now needs another re-build. Any thoughts as Audi did the rebuild and surely it should last longer than 2 yrs

35. Hello,
    Does anyone knows if the oil consumption problem affects the Audi TT 2.0 Tfsi 2007? Please help me, I’m going to buy one next week. Thank you

36. Bought a used Audi A6 2.0 TFSI 5 months ago with only 62,000 miles on the clock. Low Oil Pressure light came on and engine basically knackered, and needs remanufacturing. Car plate is 05. I was unaware of the oil problem when I bought it but having spoken to several garages it appears to be a well known secret. I am going to contact Audi despite the cars age. Anyone have a contact details where they have had a positive response from Audi?