Breaking: Biennual MOT testing proposed for Northern Ireland

Home Page Forums Discussions General independent garage chat Breaking: Biennual MOT testing proposed for Northern Ireland

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Proposals to carry out MOT tests every two years in Northern Ireland have been put forward in a consultation by the Department for Infrastructure. Inf
    [See the full post at: Breaking: Biennual MOT testing proposed for Northern Ireland]

#216253 Reply
    Robert Wright

I would suggest cars that cover few miles in a year – say 3 to 5 thousand should be exempt from annual and go to biennial testing.
    I have a car that I pay “huge” road tax on, yet only drive it occasionally. Possibly only covering 300/500 miles per year.
    My wife too only covers some 3000 on her car annually.
    We have our cars serviced/maintained regularly to increase longevity and maintain safety all round.
    Rob Wright

#216322 Reply
    Paul

I think if everyone could be trusted to service their cars properly, without fail, every year then an official bi-annual test ‘could’ work but I still think its a risk to road safety. As a tester of about 18 years its sometimes shocking to see how a car can pass its mot one year and fail on quite a list the next year.

#216323 Reply
    Alastair Mayne

Unfortunately I do not think that this is a sensible suggestion. Although there are some car drivers (as above) who regularly maintain their vehicles despite covering very low annual mileages there is a huge majority of irresponsible drivers who are not so careful. It must be remembered that the MOT standard of safety is a bare minimum, and only on the day of the test, without any consideration for what may happen between now and the next test. This is a safety concern, not just for the drivers of these vehicles, but more importantly for the rest of us who are sharing the roads with them.

#216324 Reply
    michael cleary

they need to open more test centers and make the test tougher not minimum standards

#216330 Reply
    Christopher gibbs

I am an mot tester and some of the cars driving on our roads are shocking, my failure rate this month to date is 67%, at one end of the spectrum it’s just a bulb or split ball joint boot, on the other end of the spectrum it’s tyres down to the ply, or badly worn ball joints that are about to pop out. I had an Alhambra in last week were the presenter must have known there was something wrong as the left back end jumps up and down as it’s running on a tyre with a 2 inch bulge on the tread, and pulling violently to the right because of a missing suspension arm bush. Annual mot a must.

#216590 Reply
    ian wills

33% of vehicles fail in the UK each year, 1 Death for mechanical error is to much ! as the busiest Mot Station in the UK i have seen some defects that will end Fatal – road safety needs to be a prioty and bot the saving of 50 pounds

cars do not visit garages as often now and members of public rely on the mot as guaidence and only get the essential work done where needed

only a fool would go 4-2-2 and thouse that want to should as if they would like there child in the back of an unknown car thats not need looked at for 2 years

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

LEAVE A REPLY:

Reply To: Breaking: Biennual MOT testing proposed for Northern Ireland

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.