DVSA emphasises phased introduction of connected MOT equipment amid cost concerns

Home Page Forums Discussions General independent garage chat DVSA emphasises phased introduction of connected MOT equipment amid cost concerns

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

The DVSA is this week attempting to reassure independent garages that a planned move to ‘connected MOT equipment’ will be phased and that it should ha
    [See the full post at: DVSA emphasises phased introduction of connected MOT equipment amid cost concerns]

#184753 Reply
    David Aitken

Completely unnecessary, this is just nonsense. What is wrong with pen and paper? DVSA have obviously nothing better to do.

#184760 Reply
    graham cox

please can somebody at the dvsa get a grip
    we need a set mot fee no discounts and regular checks by dvsa staff like it used to be
    this would cut out bad testing
    they need to try running a garage/mot bay in the current climate,then they would realise most of us are just about keeping a roof over our heads and paying the bills
    the public do not care one bit if there car is out of test and in a lot of cases tax and as far as I can tell if we the garages step out of line we get jumped on on social media by some twit who we tried to help
    come on lets get this industry regulated and back to a respected position

#184761 Reply
    David

If this is going to be such an issue regarding the test fee and introductions of new test equipment, then given that I have seen this problem since the early 1990’s and nothing has ever become of it, it is time to stop bothering with talking to DVSA, they have no clout and really don’t give a monkeys uncle about your financial income from the scheme. Get the mot scheme to lobby parliament and force a change. You must remember that nobody listens to one off complainers, it must be everyone all at once doing the shouting to get a result.

#184762 Reply
    bob muir

Another aspect is the value of the old equipment or lack of now. If you replaced equipment on a rota system to keep your equipment fresh & sold on your working old equipment to help offset the cost of the new it is now worthless.

#184763 Reply
    James

Bring it on i say, if this clears out the garages that charge peanuts and never invest in the future so be it. Let the demise of the race to the bottom culture in the industry begin, step up and join the technology race or die, its that simple. Living of the back of an MOT station is no longer viable what a surprise, raise your labour rates, invest in your staff, equipment and stop expecting the DVSA to provide you with a living.

#184764 Reply
    mark mitchell

i am a one man band i retire in 10 years this would close me down if i had too replace this equipment and a lot off the mot station around me are small station i think vosa wants rid off the small stations were too much bother they want too deal with the big boys our i am just being paranoid answers on a post card please too vosa dont expect a reply any time soon

#184766 Reply
    adrian j walker

Mark is right, the costs of new approved equipment are escalating out of all proportions, the makers are profiteering at garages expense, it’s a cartel and it includes the government and DVSA, the looser’s will always be the garage trade. why have we not got a union or similar that could organise direct action, may be a closure of all MOT stations for a week or two, yes we will loose income initially, but it could bring bigger benefits later. better still let’s all shut up shop completely and leave it to the big boy’s, that would please DVSA no end, customers would suffer, who cares about them anyway, not the big boys that’s for sure, even better still let every garage owner over 55 retire and close, that would stuff the system right up

#184769 Reply
    bob muir

Another downside to this is if you’re retiring & selling up is the new owner will have to install new equipment before they can take over the running of your business which has got to have a negative impact on the value of your business.

#184770 Reply
    Tim Hookway

How on earth will the garages that are forced to put in the new expensive connected equipment going to be competitive with mot’s when Joe Bloggs across the road still charges £30 for an mot on his old equipment that was paid for ten years ago? It has to be all or nothing as far as I’m concerned to level the playing field.

#184771 Reply
    Peter Miles

Just over a year ago I had to buy a new gas/smoke tester to meet the new diesel limits. As of now I can’t don’t know if that “new” £4,800 machine can be connected or not. But if I have to buy another new one I will simply pack it in. Oh I know the DVSA are saying that we don’t need to upgrade YET but it will come I’m sure. In my view it’s the start of a move towards franchised testing, probably by one of the chains like Halfords or Quick Fit (who already have a dreadful reputation in the trade) although I’ve heard that even supermarket chains have expressed an interest.
    If this goes the way I fear it will then forget about your friendly local garage who do good work, know what they’re doing and treat you fairly because they just won’t be there anymore. You’ll get know-nothing mechanics just out of school on minimum wage trying to top it up with unnecessary work.

#184772 Reply
    mark mitchell

garage wire should read this and publish this very well put because its true

#184773 Reply
    Saidy

About time! Agreed bring it on. Essentially all Garages must comply, not only new equipment. This should have been done years ago, the DVSA has been slow in implementing it because technology already existed.
    Definitely improves the quality of the mot standards and root out dodgy testing stations who are afraid, worried and blame costs.
    In reality it will be a one off cost followed by maintenance. If Mot stations only charged the recommended fee then costs will hardly be an issue.

#184774 Reply
    Stephen mugele

I have no problem with connecability but soon the lane cameras will be introduced all bought in under the guys of making the test less ambiguous

#184775 Reply
    Saidy

Currently, fraudulent testers at MOT Stations have been caught and rightly struck off for testing cars not even present. If test lane cameras are implemented as a further measure then good testers who adhere to mot guide lines and standards will have nothing to fear. Hooray.
    The dodgy cowboy testers and cheap MOT Stations will have most to fear as they will be carefully monitored.
    We live in a world of modern technology so progress cannot and will not be stopped.

#184768 Reply
    Tim Hubbard

Why do the DVSA START BY MAKING IT MANDITORY TO ALL STATIONS CHARGE A FULL TEST FEE. You are unable to get your passport cheaper.ANOTHER COST IS MAKING TAX DIGITAL AND A LOT OF WORKSHOP SYSTEMS COULD NOT DO THIS,ANOTHER FEW £100 POUNDS.

#184765 Reply
    Ash

The main site that is supporting the change in this article was used for the trials presumably therefore getting a free change for his bay! Also a point to note – the DVSA are considering adding ANPR cameras into MOT stations as well: https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/what-connected-mot-equipment-means-for-you/

#185047 Reply
    mark

i have just priced anpr camera they start off at £180 and go up wards too £900.00 who is going too pay for these cameras i think i know the answer too this we are going too have too pay for these cameras

#185667 Reply
    John Rafferty

I think a lot of you are haven’t looked into this, its only new garages that have to be compliant, I have seen a garage who use the Boston Garage equipment Rollers and the Bowmonk decelerometers connected equipment and it makes it so much quicker and easier. it’s only a good thing for all MOT testers, we need to get with the technology and this also minimises the mistakes made. I’m all for it and will be getting all connected equipment when it comes available most are just firmware upgrades I have been advised.

#186513 Reply
    Paul Michell

Well considering connected equipment was meant to happen when MOT computerisation was first discussed and introduced in the early 2000’s it should not come as a surprise that there is eventually a roll out requirement. Modern technology and connectivity is cheaper than ever and much equipment such as brake testers and emission testers are PC based, surely it is possible for most of these to communicate through your PC or tablet that many use to register and record tests. Why is there no push back to your equipment supplier for what should be a fairly simple and inexpensive update? Even the SN issued by DVSA mentions this, so surely check first to see if your equipment can be updated.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

LEAVE A REPLY:

Reply To: DVSA emphasises phased introduction of connected MOT equipment amid cost concerns

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.