DVSA to change MOT vehicle registration and puts record straight on emissions and MIL

Home Page Forums Discussions General independent garage chat DVSA to change MOT vehicle registration and puts record straight on emissions and MIL

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

The DVSA has outlined plans to update the MOT Testing Service to reduce the number of vehicles registered incorrectly during the MOT. The agency has also issued advice to put the record straight on malfunction indicator lamp failures for vehicles that have passed the tail pipe emissions test.

Find all the latest from the DVSA here…

[See the full post at: DVSA to change MOT vehicle registration and puts record straight on emissions and MIL]

#169478 Reply
    Peter Miles

But part of the test is to check the VIN number. An illegible or missing one is a fail so how does getting the number from the cars own system help with that?
    Also what if the car has had a second hand ECU fitted with the old VIN not updated? You’re going to get the wrong number!

#169480 Reply
    Dee cools

Who is paying for the odb adaptor and software
    Is it WiFi or hard wired ??
    What about liability if your existing equipment has an unknown viruses and corrupts the ecu

How soon will there be colne units out there to fool your test though

#169481 Reply
    David

Reads like another idea coming to market not very well thought out!

#169482 Reply
    Ken Ashton

Readings at 2500 rpm and tick-over sound pretty close to “real world driving” to me.A sharp change of throttle can put emissions outside limits anyway . “Reasonable” to fail ? Is it pass or fail ?

#169483 Reply
    Andrew Pywell

Some manufacturers have programmed the MIL light to stay on even though the fault has cleared
    to encourage owners to visit there local dealer, so the light could be on with no fault present.

#169487 Reply
    Steve J

on some vehicles the Engine Management Light illuminates to inform the owner / driver that the vehicle is due an oil change or service, surely we should not be failing them because of this. if we do and the owner is switch on in the legal dept this would end up in a court of law im sure.

#169488 Reply
    Paul

Sorry but interested to know what cars put on the engine light for a service ???
    Some cars do it the other way round and say service for engine faults and some cars illuminate the engine light if fuel is diluted but normally because the emission control system isn’t working correctly.
    Also I’d love to know what cars have the engine light on but no faults ?? only ever seen that once were the vehicle had been remapped.
    My guess is your only looking at the obd system ?
    Also if we fail something correctly as per the rules then law suits aren’t our problem it’s a matter for the Dvsa

#169503 Reply
    Lee

Do they have any mechanically qualified people in their department. I fear they don’t.

#169507 Reply
    Steve J

Paul, to answer youre question about mil lights on for oil change / service , its happens on Corsa Diesels and some Mondeo Diesels

#169509 Reply
    Steve J

And Paul additionally to youre previous comment about the law suit being DVSA problem, i would ask you to consider whether you would want to be dragged into court to give evidence and version of events if you failed the vehicle in question for displaying a Mil light.

#170110 Reply
    Tim Hubbard

I think if the car goes through the emissions test however a MIL is on you should not assume they are wrong it must be black or white.

#170153 Reply
    S Oneill

600 fraudulent mots carried out at my garage by someone I trusted I’ve lost my license and income no prosecution by vosa to the offender as I’m responsible for the tester.I accept responsibility for the tester but when he knocks them out in the pub for gain why should I be held responsible the system is to easy to defraud

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

LEAVE A REPLY:

Reply To: DVSA to change MOT vehicle registration and puts record straight on emissions and MIL

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.