Halfords launches “free brakes for life”

Home Page Forums Discussions General independent garage chat Halfords launches “free brakes for life”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Halfords has launched a new promotion in which it offers customers “free brake components for life”. The fast fit claims the promotion could save driv
    [See the full post at: Halfords launches “free brakes for life”]

#182971 Reply
    graham cox

our industry is a messs.
    no regulation,no set standards etc
    we as independents try to do the job correctly at a fair price use quality parts and employ skilled mechanics
    we are being forced out of the market by stupid offers and deals by large chains
    unless this is stopped in a very short space of time quality garages like us will be gone
    then when the public need the job done properly they will be stuffed
    we need an active push to highlight the independent sector NOW before it is to late

#182972 Reply
    Jason Booth

What an absolute con, how often are just brake pads replaced these days ? If brakes are inspected properly it’s not very often the discs are enough above the minimum thickness to be able to have another set of pads!

You’ve got to love their terms and conditions stating that repairs to discs and drums must be carried out by yourself within 10 days of an inspection and then they must replace the pads, so you replace your discs and then take it to them for pads after you have already driven with new discs on old pads ?
    Obviously what we all know will happen is they will say you need new discs and charge you an over the top price to replace them which will already cover the cost of the “FREE” pads, I’ve seen some invoices from my local Halfords centre and believe me there is nothing they give away.
    But from a marketing point of view I’m sure it will work with a lot of customers as more often than not poor service and quality seems to be able to hide behind a so called reputable brand, just because you have heard the name it doesn’t mean it should be trusted.

Terms and conditions of your personal lifetime brake replacement
    How it works
    You must carry out all other brake repairs (to brake discs, drums, cables and hydraulics) found during an inspection or service within 10 days to continue to claim the free replacement.
    We must carry out all brake pad or shoe repairs if you want to take advantage of the lifetime replacement.

#182973 Reply
    Martin D

Zero incentive for them to change a safety related part when it has an overhead and no revenue to their business. Its a matter of tie before it backfires. Personally i would not allow them to change my wipers.

#182974 Reply
    Bob Butcher

I wonder how much of the brakes fitted where necessary this was attempted once before everything got changed calipers discs Brake hoses anything they could sell they did the poor customer

#182976 Reply
    Taz

Haha! They can’t even change a bulb as our workshop has seen on a number of occasions!!!

#182986 Reply
    Peter Miles

So they are saying that if you let them change your pads once they will save you £1,600? They’re going to have do a lot of upselling to get that back, but they will try!
    But the facts are that economically this makes no sense whatever and besides that as others have said having seen some of their work I quite literally wouldn’t trust them to change a light bulb. This offer sounds so desperate that I honestly think Halfords are in deep trouble and thrashing around for anything that might save them so I’m not worried.

#182989 Reply
    Tom

I agree, Halfords have a very poor reputation in the motor trade for their standard of work which looks to have driven their management team to come up with a new clever business idea/illusion of giving away things to make up for the dreadful service you get when you have any dealings with them.
    They are likely to fall victim of this stay in business by undercutting everyone initiative.

#182990 Reply
    Steve

Just a con marketing campaign to get people to go back so they can tell them that their car is not safe to drive and take their pants down again! Our local Halfords centre recently fitted a car stereos to an Audi TT and blew the main ECU for the engine management system and had to have it towed away for a new ECU costing £1600 hahah I did some MOT work on a Ford KA last year that the quoted over £900 for – £350 of which was welding, hope the size of a 50p piece above the headlight – rip of and unskilled I hope this gets lots of attention and they get investigated by some powerful body and this gets stopped because all the public will do is think initially wow what a saving till they go back and they get walloped for a big bill next time round!! Wrong dishonest intentions outright from the start! They wouldn’t hand out £20 notes so why give this offer out!! Is not a saving for the customer! It’s a keep me going back! Tie!!

#183085 Reply
    Shaunp

Nothing new, didn’t unipart try something like this a decade ago. That ended well…

#182987 Reply
    Steve
    Participant

If its not tough enough trying to keep existing customers who tend to be loyal (there is always one looking for the bargain)!
    We get “deals” that are just marketing ploys to win customers over!
    I agree with Graham Cox we are going to be forced out of business if you rely on servicing and minor repairs in the long term
    As customers are looking for the best deal but competing with big chains is tough and sometimes impossible
    But on a good note as Taz has mentioned bulbs!! (enough said)
    Often we find the customer comes back with a story to tell!
    losing revenue because of it hurts the independent though.

#184198 Reply
    Dennis Haggett

Kwik fit have been doing this for years nothing new here just another con job

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

LEAVE A REPLY:

Reply To: Halfords launches “free brakes for life”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.