Low emissions zones proposal

Home Page Forums Discussions General independent garage chat Low emissions zones proposal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Craig Harrity
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the proposed Low Emissions Zones (LEZ)? Additionally, do you think it will effect your business?

#147480 Reply

Where’s your workshop based Craig? I imagine it could cause concern for any garages within one of the zones?

#147481 Reply
    Craig Harrity
    Participant

We are based in Glasgow city centre – we are supportive of greener choices however we feel the proposal will directly effect our business amongst many others.

#147484 Reply
    Leon Thomas

Really valid point Craig, it’ll be interesting to see how many people feel as though LEZ will effect their businesses – thanks for bringing this up!

#147548 Reply

A new cross-party inquiry will examine whether the government’s air quality plan goes “far enough, fast enough to both meet legal limits and to deliver the maximum environmental and health benefits”. The plan includes proposals for ‘clean air zones’ to limit polluting vehicles from driving in high pollution areas and an end to the sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040. More on this to come this week in GW’s news bulletins.

#147632 Reply
    Craig Harrity
    Participant

Look forward to reading the article Mike!

#147773 Reply
    AUTODAN LIMITED
    Participant

What interests me about the switch over to Full or Hybrid Electric vehicles is it seems only about point of use emissions, I have read a lot of articles about the environmental impact of Electric vehicles from construction to disposal including the replacement batteries when needed and disposal of the battery packs and it seems that we are just kicking the football down the road until it becomes too big to kick. The point of use Emissions will of course be lower but the Carbon footprint seems to come out higher which should be of concern if true? Not to mention the impact on the Environment of mining the materials used in the batteries.
    I recently read an article about Hydrogen as an alternative fuel, this seems a better approach if the energy used to make the Hydrogen is renewable. It does indeed take more energy to create the Hydrogen than we get back out of it, however this isn’t a problem if we use Solar, wind tidal and any other renewable source as it comes on line. These Renewable sources can be used when the demand is not there on the grid to create Hydrogen, turning the Hydrogen into an energy store, a kind of battery which can then be used in Fuel cells or even internal combustion engines. I also read another article a few years ago that a research part of Oxford University had designed a way of capturing Hydrogen in small bead form that flowed like a liquid and could be delivered using existing infrastructure. Just my thoughts as we sit at a crossroads for personal transport.

#147989 Reply
    Leon Thomas

Really interesting stuff Dan, what do you think about the SKYACTIV-X engine that’s going to be released in future Mazda models?

It’s not quite hydrogen energy created from renewable sources, but do you think it’s a step in the right direction?

#148133 Reply
    AUTODAN LIMITED
    Participant

I think there is still Mileage to be had from the internal combustion engine and its development until a credible alternative comes along for energy storage that has a real world lower emissions level from its build to disposal. At the moment it seems Governments are doing something for the sake of doing something even if that doing something is actually worse for the environment than doing nothing.

#148668 Reply
    Leon Thomas

Really interested to see what everyone else thinks about your points there, Dan…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

LEAVE A REPLY:

Reply To: Low emissions zones proposal

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.