MOT tester RAG scores: is red actually bad?

Home Page Forums Discussions General independent garage chat MOT tester RAG scores: is red actually bad?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mark Hughes
    Keymaster

The DVSA has confirmed that MOT testers who are currently rated red should not change how they are operating, as long as they know they are practising
    [See the full post at: MOT tester RAG scores: is red actually bad?]

#172333 Reply
    scott

“If you’re confident in what you are doing and can explain it, carry on.”

And can explain it ?? WTF

This takes the piss. If it has excessive play , or tyre below 1.6mm its failed FULL STOP. How the hell do you ” explain that” idiots !

#172334 Reply
    Christopher

Cars pass or fail based on merit it is deemed the minimum standards of vehicle condition. So if I test 10 vehicles and they meet the minimum standards I will pass the vehicles regardless of what colour the DVSA say I’m on equally i will fail the vehicles to. My personal experience with the test scheme over the last 10 year’s is standards have lowered considering the fast fit outfits now use the test scheme as a way to milk Joe public.

#172335 Reply
    Lee

Isn’t amber in the middle of green and red. Some may say the average of the average.

Where should we be again ?

#172336 Reply
    David

I think some testers see this as targeting them but actually it is just management control of the mot scheme. Different areas of the country and varying makes and models of vehicles, including test classes will show different evidence from different areas but I don’t think testers should be worrying about it. I think testers need to think differently about the figures and the colour scheme used to identify vehicles and categories of their defects. If a tester is testing class 7 all day every day then their fail rate will be quite high compared to a tester in a main dealer testing 3 year old cars that probably seldom fail. Does this mean the class 7 tester is doing a bad job shown in the RED! Clearly not, and the staff at DVSA analyzing the figures are also looking at the types of fail that might suggest something in the manufacturing industry needs to change, thus in the longer term projections the fail rate will then reduce. The testers might be looking at the figures thinking about the ‘hear and now’ but DVSA could be looking at longer term changes in the design of vehicle components from the data, and not targeting the testers as some might think.

#173121 Reply
    Saidy

Qoute : “Don’t change your behaviour if you’re red.
    “If you’re confident in what you are doing and can explain it, carry on.”Not good advice
    If red is a higher risk then why remain in it and how are you ever going to be in amber or green!!!!

#174412 Reply
    ronnie

my rag is green but i was told by vosa that my failure rate was quite high which it is and suggested i pass and advise on certain components
    but whilst they give you averages for age of vehicle and types of failures one thing they dont include is average mileage
    in my case 95% of the vehicles i test are taxis and depending if it has one or two drivers can put 30 to 70 thousand miles
    a year on the clock hence the high failure rate which shows me up as a over cautious tester

#174821 Reply
    C Gibbs

Yes that’s right Ronnie, it’s not all about the age of the vehicles, I seem to have a high proportion of very high mileage cars, it has got me thinking no, and make me question sometimes,for example is that play in a ball joint possibly an advice and not a fail. Am I being a bit hard, not everything is black and white like say a light not working.

#178696 Reply
    david

just looked and i am now red, i always tried to do the best mot i could,a fair mot with repeat customers
    now i am obsessed with getting my self out of the red,,
    a few testers i have spoken to are pre repairing small items ie bulbs,washers ,wiper to keep there fail rate down
    is this the correct way to go??

#187918 Reply
    Dennis Ford

I have been a tester for nearly 40years and I have just noticed mine has change from amber to red I only do 2 or 3tests a month never had any points against me in all this time as a tester all vehicles I test have been fully serviced and over repaired I do some times find things that have been missed and do the minor repairs I think with this system it’s probably time I give up testing I feel they don’t trust us

#194170 Reply
    nick

Just changed my password and from being green since they started this system I am now red.Looking at test infomation time taken same as average slightly higher in some areas than average.The only real differences are age of vehicle, 13 years as opposed to 9 , and failure rate.Average for the month was 29% mine was 25%.That seems harsh to me.

#202227 Reply
    Muhammad Aqeel Butt

Hi I’m in the same situation where it’s rags me red because my fail rate is 50% what I can do if the car is 9 to 10 years old and it got problems why I flagged red. Just to meet there limit now we do stupid things none of our customers said you did wrong mot. I never had complain but still I’m red. I try my best to be as much as I can honest with my job role and my customers but I’m blamed for that and now my gaffa said I can’t do mot for one month. I’m a free lancer not full time employed. I helped my freind and do my private jobs I hardly do 10 15 mots in a month

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

LEAVE A REPLY:

Reply To: MOT tester RAG scores: is red actually bad?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.