Six-month MOT extension sparks mixed reaction

Home Page Forums Discussions General independent garage chat Six-month MOT extension sparks mixed reaction

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

News of a six-month MOT extension for cars, motorcycles and light vans from 30 March 2020 has sparked mixed reaction from GW readers. The Independent
    [See the full post at: Six-month MOT extension sparks mixed reaction]

#193590 Reply
    David Reynolds

I fully understand the gravity of the situation as both my sons work for the NHS. We are still open and we have put measures in place to protect ourselves and our customers and I think the mot extension is a disaster for the independent sector. Anyone who think they will be closed for 2 weeks needs a reality check. We have already seen a massive reduction of work and may be forced to close soon. I fear that some garages may not re- open.

#193591 Reply
    LAWRENCE WELLS

Whats the point of saving people from the very small risk (if correct procedures are followed) of having your car tested compared to the much bigger risk of causing an accident to through an unsafe vehicle. The obvious sensible option would have been to defer testing only for people in the high risk category. That way lives are protected and garages may be able to keep trading. Also this will avoid the inevitable chaos this will cause by pushing 6 months worth of testing into the future

#193605 Reply
    Alan fox

How do you obtain parts for repairs
    On a vehicle that has failed the MOT
    When Main dealers are shut?

#193653 Reply
    Garry

Hi fellow testers & independent traders, I too fear for all our businesses, there should indeed have been guidelines put into place, alongside this ridiculous government six month mot extension period, it should have been granted to key workers & front line employed, but not every Tom, Dick & Harry, all test stations should offer a free local collection & return service for those individuals who’s vehicles required testing, minimising contact between possibly infected, & prevention of spreading the disease, a short clean of the owner’s vehicle’s interior on collection, & also on return, PPE equipment worn by the collecting party, keeping all contact to a minimum, I’m sure we could implement such a service for the six month period?
    My concerns are grave, who’s to say the government won’t continue with the extension on a fortnightly/monthly basis, at the end of the first six month period, & take it all the way to March 2021 ?? Then no mot back log, we all just lose about 75 % of our turnover for the twelve month period, I wouldn’t put it past them to do this, just to avoid egg on their faces, WOULD THEY HAVE DONE IT IF THERE WAS VAT @20% on the mot fee ??
    I THINK NOT!! How about a six month break on panning road tax mr chancellor???

#193762 Reply
    Nick

Keep the garages open they said….
    We upped our game, treating keys and cars on the way in and on the way out of our premises we promised our customers we would be there for them and collect cars were need as the other garages around us announced they were closing and then the bomb shell hit. “MOTS automatically get a 6 Month extension” Yes DVSA are actually changing the expiry dates of millions of cars and adding 6 months on to the end!!!
    We see many vehicles that are not fit or safe to be on the road and now they can just carry on regardless. Yes the driver has to ensure they are road worthy but what exactly is that to a layman??
    What will the insurance company say when that have an accident because of a burst brake pipe or detached track rod end?
    With no MOT tests how can the garages stay open to deal with broken springs tearing through tyres and brake pads on the metal, even getting a puncture mended will be impossible.
    How then will our key workers do their jobs without their vehicles and will they be tempted to drive them knowing there is something wrong with it?
    Ok so the garages can furlough their staff but how does anyone plan for a comeback not knowing how many people will want / need work doing after the minimum three weeks off a furloughed staff member must have?

#193773 Reply
    Andrew Rankin

I can understand why they have made the MOT extension, but it’s how long the extension has been put in place for, that’s the problem. If we come out of lockdown in let’s say June, we are then going to have to struggle on for 4 months with no MOT tests, which is 80% of are work. I think as soon as we can go back to work they should of given 4-8 weeks to give people time to get back on there feet. Because by time October comes its just going to be chaos MOT wise, and the state of which the vehicles are going to be in, I dread to think. It’s going to be very worrying times for all independent sector. But for now stay safe.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

LEAVE A REPLY:

Reply To: Six-month MOT extension sparks mixed reaction

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.