Threats to independents will be overcome despite current lack of legislation

Home Page Forums Discussions General independent garage chat Threats to independents will be overcome despite current lack of legislation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Wendy Williamson of the Independent Automotive Aftermarket Federation (IAAF) opened the federation’s 2019 annual conference yesterday (Thursday 5 Dece
    [See the full post at: Threats to independents will be overcome despite current lack of legislation]

#189073 Reply
    David

Currently I can’t speak for other traders but I see this as a problem;

The conference also heard an update from the Department for Transport on current legislative matters in the UK, along with an update from Neil Pattemore of FIGIEFA on the latest technological threats and challenges in the EU and how this will impact the aftermarket.

I have a subscription with Autodata each year and must admit that the data available has declined over the years, meaning it is becoming less and less in the technical sense. I have had emails in the past with AD but did not feel I got satisfactory answers to my concerns.

A recent conversation with a technical guy from Snap On regarding their software in their scanners also raised concerns, a Toyota Proace I was recently investigating driveability issues with proved that no component test data was available in the software for this van although the van and engine code was correctly listed. The guided component test data referred me to other Toyota vehicles models where I had doubt about the accuracy of that said data to the Proace. The Snap On guy told me that Toyota were not forthcoming with their data and hence why the scanners did not have the available data.

I then registered with Toyota online and downloaded the repair manual to the Proace only to read through it and find that Toyota are putting the technical data into their own diagnostic equipment instead of the repair manuals. I see other manufacturers doing the same, which is no good to the trade outside of dealer networks. If this practice is allowed to continue in the longer term then the aftermarket will seize to exit, thus a cartel has won because there will be nothing left.

It is time now for the Government to act and stop this before it is finally too late to do anything positive about it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

LEAVE A REPLY:

Reply To: Threats to independents will be overcome despite current lack of legislation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.