Vehicle breakdowns hit five-year high

Home Page Forums Discussions General independent garage chat Vehicle breakdowns hit five-year high

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

There were more vehicle breakdowns on motorways and major routes last year than there have been for half a decade, new figures from Highways England r
    [See the full post at: Vehicle breakdowns hit five-year high]

#182842 Reply
    MARTIN WARNER

It’s more likely due to lack of maintenance rather than ageing vehicles, .4 of a year older average vehicles are unlikely to equate to a 14.8% breakdown increase, whereas there is a noticeable slow down in parts purchases in my industry so presumably the repair industry is suffering similar downturn.

#182843 Reply
    Steph Savill

My findings are that some motorists confuse MOTs and servicing, only doing the essential ie the MOT. And a record number are avoiding their MOT it seems but surely they can be traced/chased?

#182844 Reply
    graham cox

totally agree with steph savill our mot bay is at a standstill despite our reminder system and no service work because customers do not want to spend
    why are the police not stopping vehicles without mot and tax ???

#182845 Reply
    Alan

I agree that a lack of maintenance is more likely to be the cause but also wonder how reliable some of the newer cars are – so many electrical gremlins now put vehicles into ‘limp mode’ resulting in people not driving round ignoring the warning lamps like they used to. Also, ever more complex vehicles getting ever cheaper in real terms will definitely not improve reliability.

#182847 Reply
    Philip Dunmore

All good points above but I think Alan is close to the real problem. As the more complex cars reach the bottom end of the market owners often cannot afford proper maintenance or DIY is not practical. We have also noticed a lot of vehicles coming out of lease and service contract schemes that have had little or no maintenance. This must affect the reliability of the car park as a whole.

#182849 Reply
    Mark Worsley

Just a thought…
    A lot of these vehicles no longer have a spare wheel. So how many of these call outs are people with punctures or damaged tyres? As above, maintenance is clearly down so bald tyres are just not being seen and replaced.
    Is this not a waste of recovery time, money and more importantly recovery operators safety? A few pence saved by the manufacturers to risk people’s lives, waiting on the side of main roads for the recovery.

#183072 Reply
    Peter Miles
    Participant

In reply to Steph Savill’s post there are a lot of cars out there not registered to any owner or simply, as far as the authorities are concerned, simply don’t exist on the database. Then add in those with cloned/stolen registration plates and although nobody (obviously!) knows the figures I understand it comes to quite a lot.
    I read an article some time ago about speeding tickets from cameras and it said that around 15% of them come up as either registration unknown or with no registered keeper. The police said that in that case they can do nothing so the tickets get binned.
    Terrible situation but that is the reality. And you can bet those cars are not MOT’d, insured, taxed or maintained. And probably not driven too well either!

#183176 Reply
    Eddie Bamber

If breakdowns on the motorway are increasing, surely this means that we need a hard shoulder ?. The Government have taken them away and introduced ‘smart’ motorways because they say that vehicles are more reliable now and therefore less likely to break down. You can’t have it both ways.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

LEAVE A REPLY:

Reply To: Vehicle breakdowns hit five-year high

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.