Qashqai owners speak out against engine failures

Owners of 1.2l petrol models claim they are being left without a car because of serious mechanical problems

Qashqai owners speak out against engine failures
Nissan has been accused by owners of not admitting to serious engine problems on 1.2litre Qashqai models.

Qashqai owners have accused Nissan of failing to admit to serious problems with models that are powered by the Renault-supplied 1.2-litre DIG-T petrol engines, introduced in 2014.

According to The Guardian, Ana Keogh spent £28,000 on a brand-new Qashqai in 2015 but was left without a car for weeks at a time after her car needed three engine re-builds in just 18-months.

Problems first arose ten-months into her ownership, when Ana noticed a strange noise coming from the engine.

Under warranty, Nissan replaced the timing chain but a couple of months later the noise returned.

Nissan said the car required a new engine and Ana was left without a car once again as the engine was sourced and fitted.

Just a few weeks later, the noise returned again.

‘Don’t know what they are doing’

Ana said: “I think we have been more than patient, but Nissan and the dealer don’t appear to know what they are doing.

“How can a car have so many engine rebuilds in such a short period?

“No explanation is ever offered, and I’m just expected to put up with it, like it’s normal.

“We spent a lot of money on this car.

“I’m about to have a baby, I just want a car that works.”

Nissan have offered to buy the car back for £14,500 if they buy another Nissan but Ana and her husband believe the car to be worth more than £19,000.

Gavin Connolly of Bridgend in south Wales has also had his engine replaced on his 15-month old Qashqai because it was burning too much oil.

Piston problems

Connolly was told by the dealership that there was a problem with the pistons on a batch of engines.

He said: “I took my car in for a service only to be told it was almost empty of oil.

“It was refilled and I was told to bring it back after 3,000 miles, and it was the same story.

“I am aware of other owners with the same problem, including one guy whose car was only driveable for six weeks out of the seven months he owned it.

“In the end, he got so fed up he traded it in at a huge loss, just to get rid of it.”

Owners commenting on Qashqai Forums believe oil consumption problems date back as far as 2015 and some owners have commented that their cars are booked in for rectification work this week.

The Qashqai is one of the UK’s best-selling cars and 3.3 million have been sold across 137 market during its ten-years in production.

Have you come across issues with the Nissan Qashqai in your workshop? Share your experiences and comments below.

64 Comments

1. Typical Renault engineering. Getting involved with Renault is the worst thing Nissan has ever done. Years ago Nissan had built a good reputation for excellent engines, all ruined now.

2. Typical Renault engineering. Getting involved with Renault is the worst thing Nissan has ever done. Years ago Nissan had built a good reputation for excellent engines, all ruined now.

3. obviously jon 31, 2017 doesn’t know what he is talking about. As a professional mechanic with nearly 30 years experience all car manufacturers are making poor quality engines. Renault engines were excellent before Nissan got involved! period.

4. obviously jon 31, 2017 doesn’t know what he is talking about. As a professional mechanic with nearly 30 years experience all car manufacturers are making poor quality engines. Renault engines were excellent before Nissan got involved! period.

5. I would agree with charger318jon, having worked on a service desk at a Renault and Nissan dealership for nearly 20 years, the problems started when they joined forces and cut costs, Renault customer services although not overly hopefully, they was never any point in phoning Nissan.

• Bought quashqi 18 months ago 2015 model and now needs a new engine. Warranty won’t help,costing £8,000 for new engine, still paying finance and stuck with my beloved car that I cannot drive. Can’t believe it and don’t know what to do. Any advice please. A recall is necessary the engine is too small to cope, 1.2 turbo? Why

• I have a Renault captur with similar problem needs new engine due to timing chain guide rails breaking Renault blamed me saying little oil in car! I’m far from stupid and do check levels often currently fighting with them to fix it! Renault won’t admit problems with engine seems a bit of a coincidence both nissans and Renault have similar faults!!

• What is the latest with your car? I bought Quashqai 1.2 turbo back in June 2017. Been plagued with problems ever since I had it, fobbed off each time by Nissan dealer who just kept asking me to return for compression tests. Now telling me I need new engine!! I cannot believe it.

• Hi just had an mot went straight through but on the full service they stopped half way through they picked up a rattle in the engine and basically one of the cylinders has lost pressure so I need a new engine only had a quashqi 23 months 1.2

• My daughter has Qashqai. Which started developing problems in the summer. The car kept jugging and we found that there was hardly any oil in it. She paid out £180 on little things which the dealer said it could be. But they knew I believe the problem was major. They eventually admitted it needed a new engine, which luckily was covered by an extended warranty. I believe they were hoping that she would drive it with no oil in it, then blame her for not checking the oil. The new engine was fitted at the beginning of October this year, and guess what it was nearly out of oil at Christmas. She only drives locally. The whole thing is a disgrace. Where do we go to get justice?

• My daughter is experiencing the same issue. 2014 QaShqai- 34,000 miles- just been told she needs a new engine. Currently waiting for Nissan’s response. The Nissan franchise staff have told my daughter this is a common problem and sometimes Nissan extend the warranty as they recognise there’s a problem with this engine. Surely there needs to be some media coverage about this. Way too many people are suffering. Any ideas?

• hi Julie
        we have the same problem as you, timing chain snapped and car is on finance
        have you had any luck with sorting yours, we have contacted nissan who said its not thier fault, we have had the vechile regulary servived from the garge we brought the car from, they said they have used all correct parts etc,

6. I would agree with charger318jon, having worked on a service desk at a Renault and Nissan dealership for nearly 20 years, the problems started when they joined forces and cut costs, Renault customer services although not overly hopefully, they was never any point in phoning Nissan.

7. I agree wtih John, from a customer point of view, Nissan was a sound mechanical trustworthy name. I bought my Qashqai purely on their past reputation with no knowledge what I was getting was a renault / nissan hybrid, regardless of who’s input made this a complete bag of bolts. It’s a disaster and for me most of my issues have been with the engine (renault’s significant contribution). I feel that Renault have screwed up Nissan’s rep not the other way round.

8. I agree wtih John, from a customer point of view, Nissan was a sound mechanical trustworthy name. I bought my Qashqai purely on their past reputation with no knowledge what I was getting was a renault / nissan hybrid, regardless of who’s input made this a complete bag of bolts. It’s a disaster and for me most of my issues have been with the engine (renault’s significant contribution). I feel that Renault have screwed up Nissan’s rep not the other way round.

9. I know of 45 cases! If we want to be strong we must communicate and make them to do a Recall! Lets do it together!

10. I know of 45 cases! If we want to be strong we must communicate and make them to do a Recall! Lets do it together!

11. Not a Nissan owner but Dacia Duster with the same engine 1.2 Tce and mine broke down 2 months ago where they first changed the timing chain got back the car and i started to rattle day after i got it now its att the dealer where they have changed the engine but the new engine started to rattle when they started it so now im stuck luckily the dealer is doing everything they can to help me and fix this problem. But i have searched the net and found out that this problem with this engine is not only excluded for Nissan but even Dacia and Renault models with this engine and i believe that Renault knows about this problem but are keeping it silent. Best wishes from Sweden

12. Not a Nissan owner but Dacia Duster with the same engine 1.2 Tce and mine broke down 2 months ago where they first changed the timing chain got back the car and i started to rattle day after i got it now its att the dealer where they have changed the engine but the new engine started to rattle when they started it so now im stuck luckily the dealer is doing everything they can to help me and fix this problem. But i have searched the net and found out that this problem with this engine is not only excluded for Nissan but even Dacia and Renault models with this engine and i believe that Renault knows about this problem but are keeping it silent. Best wishes from Sweden

13. You should all buy proper Jap cars like Toyota or Honda, i personaly would not touch anything with a french engine they are rubbish. Nissan should never have got involved with Renault, i’ve had 2 Toyotas in the last 9 years and both have been bomb proof with no problems at all that’s why they dominate in the reliability premier league and their after sales are great too when booking services and so on.

14. I have also Dacia Duster with TCe 1.2 engine. Couple weeks ago car was “jumping” when running up hill with 6. gear on <2000 rpm. Engine warning light was also set ON. OBD-II code was P0299. Yesterday I went to service, and they said that must replace engine and turbo. They promised, that I can still drive car before engine replacement.

• This is what I’ve been told

• Copy all the info you can, there’s plenty on the internet,then take legal action.If all victims take action then something will be done. Look up consumer rights and consider taking action against the dealer you purchased the car from; your contract is actually with the dealer and thier responsibility to yourself the purchaser!

15. Car engine failure at 22,000 miles oil problems excessive oil burning and no oil warning lights what a cock up.Then try and blaim me for not checking the oil every 1000 miles!

16. I bought a Qashqai Tekna in Nov 2014 and before it hit 10,000 miles and it’s first service it needed a new engine. It’s a few years on now and we’re at 38,000 and guess what; it needs another new engine for the same reasons as before of high oil consumption and other stuff. In discussions with Nissan now but not prepared to continue with this poor level of quality.

17. I have a qashqai tekna plus facelift 2017 version, very nice but……….in the boot you lose space due to those system taking away that hidden compartment, its the same size as a spare wheel

WORSE,,,,,,,, When receiving a call via bluetooth you cannot input a postcode or address into the satnav, all earlier versions you could, now you have to take the call to the handset and then input destination then return the call to the bluetooth, far too much messing around

18. My 15 plate Nissan Pulsar 1.2 DGT-I is currently at Nissan waiting for a new engine to be sourced.It had been there for 3 weeks now and was told today it could be another 4 weeks before new engine arrives,not happy.

• Just wondered if new engine solved your problem. Just had engine change for same issues but fearful problem may reoccur when out of warranty. Thinking of getting rid of car.

• I have a 14 plate same problem they obviously know about this problem when they sold the car. Nissan had a very good reputation but unfortunately I wouldn’t have touch it had I known Renault had something to do with it

19. Just been told my timing belt needs changing on Qashqai 2014 with 54k on it, been told it will cost £1200. Nissan have said they will pay for the belt at £600 but I must pay the other £600.

• Hi all,

Join our french Facebook group about 1.2 TCe engine failures.

• Just had the mot done on our Qashqai 1.2 2016 car which passed. But they have said the timing belt And chain needs replacing at £1300. It’s only done 44,000 miles. May get it halved if it is serviced for £300. Definitely seems a problem with this engine.

20. I also have a problem with my new Qashiqai bought in 2015 – engine problems – Nissan have not informed me of this – I only found out when queried strange noise and the fact the oil had been leaking…when pressing and pressing the dealer they finally admitted there is a fault on my car.

• My Nissan pulsar the same problem they admitted to me their is a problem with all their 1.2 engines.

21. My Nissan Pulsar has gone in for a new engine 20000 miles on the clock 2015 model, the car sounds like your exhaust is playing up, Nissan finally admitted to me once i was armed with the info that there is a problem with all their 1.2turbo engines but will not recall them,there was another customer in the same time with the same problem her car was 9
    months old and they replaced another one the week before.

22. My Nissan quasqui broke down in the middle of the A120 late last year and required a new engine. Last week the engine light came on again and the car didn’t start. I daresay it is going back into the garage this friday

23. Has anyone seen problems with battery discharge?
    Our qashqai nconnect first stopped in Feb, had to jump start and has done same 3 times since.
    RAC told us there’s a battery fault. Dealer not very helpful and by time we could get an appointment, it had failed again. Couldn’t lock it so jump started again.
    Now driving with all fault lights on and told it’s our fault as abs has failed due to user damage! I ask you….
    Any similar probs please advise.

• My 65 plate Qashqai had a sluggish battery and before the dealer could look at it the battery failed and would not start the car. The Rac came out and changed the battery under warranty. I have since found out Nissan were using poor quality batteries from Italy in 2015 and most are failing within 3 years . I was lucky mine was still under warranty but they are an expensive battery if you have to buy one

24. A good friend of mine works for the rac and he has the nissan contract, he said that Renault have been fitting the pistons the wrong way round, this has been the main problem, i buy Toyota, a proper jap engine, would’nt touch anything french anyway.

25. My 2016 tekna auto first had low oil back in Oct but it was toped up then I had a service in June but the engine started making a loud ticking noise agian in Oct so went to the dealer and they added over 3 litres again and the mechanic mentioned the timing belt and compression.
    The car is going back in on the 9th Oct for a compression test but if it fails the car will need a new engine and its only done 19500 miles

26. Brian from Bolton
    Our Nissan Qashqai 1.2 DiG-T-N Connecta Manual Petrol cut out and lost all power when driving on a major A Road which is particularly concerning as this vehicle has a baby seat for a one year old. The AA came out and advised that the alternator have burned out causing the failure. They managed to jump start the battery and escorted us to a main dealer. This was a potentially life threatening situation as it could have occurred on a motorway.

• Know that you are not alone, many cases are identified.
      Things are organized in France and a collective has been created (look at “Casse moteur Renault” group in Facebook, or website below.
      French consumer associations are also aware and an action could emerge very soon

27. Nissan have never had so many problems with engines since they became involved with Renault. The facts speak in volumes and I have 47 years in engineering. Nissan has ruined its good reputation for building a good cheap car.

28. I have a Nissan qashqai 1.2 accent the same problem low oil pressure. Took to Nissan for diagnostic l paid 290.00 then to be told it needs a new engine which will cost me 8000. When l took the matter forward they said i pay half 4000 pounds which is a rip off. This is disgusting as l have no car and my car has only done 32000 to need a new engine. To make the matter worse that the 8000 engine is reconditioning my engine. Why is Nissan ripping us off.

29. My 1.2 turbo Nissan Qashqai gave me all sorts of problems from rear sound to now computer box failure and alternator problems it’s only 2 yrs. They must just recall this car, it’s costing us money. South Africa

• I agree, same problems, Nissan must recall the 1.2 turbo quashqi

30. We have just had the same problem with our Nissan Qashqai, luckily its still under warranty but we’re now not confident in buying it. Has anyone got any compensation back from nissan finance for this? Thanks

31. Bought a Nissan qashqai on 15 plate and after three months in used I found engine oil to be very low and I immediately have it service, then 4 months on, engine oil was completely dried. Nissan needs to do a recall. The car was sold to me on the AA vehicle inspection reports and know warranty. Wouldn’t know what to do if Nissan come up with engine problem on the car.

32. we have a Qashqai, a 2016 model, we started to hear a noise in the engine about 18 months ago. We took it in for a service & they told us that we were lucky to have brought it in when we did as it had no oil in the system at all. since that time we have had to refill the oil every 3 to 4 months, it is ridiculous. This is the 3rd Qashqai we have had but none of the other ones had this problem at all, I have to admit we are looking at changing our car within the next 3 months & we will not be buying another Nissan car at all. We were annoyed with Nissan a few years ago as we had the Qashqai+2 & they got rid of that car ( funny enough they brought in the new x-trail 2 years later & low & behold it is more or less the Qashqai+2 ) so that cheesed us off & now this problem & will Nissan admit it, will they heck as like. No, Nissan has had it with my wife & I, good luck to the rest of you.

33. My Nissan QQ is 35000k and already leaking oil, am afraid what can happen next, I think its time I get rid of it.

34. Anyone have a Qashqai fault message “Chassis Control System Fault”?
    This repeatedly displays then disappears.

• Yes had this message appear last weekend also start/stop inoperative. Took it to the local Nissan dealer. After a diagnostic check they said it could be the spark plugs. Same fault this time said it was the coil packs. Same fault, this time no compression on number 4 cylinder. Now they say it needs a new engine. It is a 15 plate with 60k on the clock. After reading all these problems I’m going to confront the Nissan dealer tomorrow

35. We just bought a 2016 Qashqai from Malmö Mobility Nissan. We have had it for a month and it’s turned into a bloody nightmare. We’ll be driving and the vehicle will die. In order to get it going again you have to pull over put it in park and re-start it. Very dangerous and happens every 100 meters or so. I’m afraid someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed. It’s been back to the dealer three times already. I’m not sure they know what they’re doing. It’s a bloody death trap and I regret buying anything Nissan. We had to navigate surviving with and without a car with a busy schedule. A bloody nightmare!! Warning!! Do not buy a Nissan!

36. In France, many victims have gathered, there is a Facebook group and a website (Casse Moteur Renault…). Last May, the biggest French consumer association called on Renault Nissan Dacia and Mercedes to explain. In Spain the OCU did the same. Do not hesitate to join us.

• Really interested with all the comments re: issues with Nissan quashquai timing chain and engine problems. We have had a Nissan quashquai for 10 months – it was 2 years old when we bought it, has done 30,000 miles and have just had the car taken into the garage to replace the timing chain and possible new engine. Has anyone got anywhere with taking this further. Now concerned that this might be a recurring problem. Would appreciate any help/ advice.

37. bought a second hand 1.2 petrol first registered in 2016 bought may 2019 16k miles on the clock after owning for 5 months system fault appeared on the car told it was the timing belt/chain said it needed changing but no one wants to take ownership of changing it under the warranty – said needs auth from Nissan but its a known fault!!!!!! have been palmed off from pillar to post and still waiting car is lit up on the dashboard like a xmas tree, but is safe to drive apparently

WOULD NEVER BUY NISSAN AGAIN AND THEIR SERVICES IS DISGUSTING

38. I got the same report for 1.2 DIG-T Qashqai like Connoly from nissan garage that i need to replace the engine, there was only 25% oil in engine. Are you guys been sorted from nissan or i will be like others? This is not right for Nissan reputation if they are fitting a short life engine in car and sale it to customer, they are not even admitting their fault, if you guys got help from garage or from Nissan please share the info to help me and others.

• Just bought a 1.2 Qashqai (17000 miles) from Glyn Hopkin Romford. The next day driving up the A12 all sorts of lights came on and read serious chassis fault. No power but managed to get of main road. RAC said misfire, couldn’t fix it so towed to Nissan Bromley who then reported it needs a new engine. Nissan have opened a case file and I’ve got a courtesy Qashqai till mine comes back – sometime in the new year.

39. I am currently going through this battle with nissan. My 2014 qashqai which I purchased in 2018 has had total engine failure and they say I need a new engine. The car has only done 32000 miles!! How could it need a new engine. There is so much evidence about this fault and it should have been a mass recall but it would be a huge embarrassment to nissan. So many people have suffered. New engine is £8000, almost as much as the car is worth but there is no chance of selling it like this! Absolute nightmare!!! Did anyone have any positive outcomes? I want to fight nissan but doesn’t sound like anyone else got anywhere!

• I’m currently going through a similar situation, however I bought the car from arnold clark so they are referring me back to nissan who are then telling me its arnold clark who need to repair it. Nissan quoted me 14k for a new engine. They have said its conrod failure and it is not related to the fault that is common on these Qasqai’s

• Hi how did you get on as I am in this situation as well

• I am in the same situation my car is at Nissan dealership for 9 weeks now sat on forecourt. I dare not drive anymore. I haven’t driven it properly like I used to for 8 months. They have admitted a fault with the engine. I have the Nissan bulletin saying which engines numbers are affected. I have service reports were it says I can smell burning oil and loss of oil in first year of warranty. It’s week 10 this week and customer care and the dealership are pushing for a new engine. I have been told to be patient but 10 weeks is a long time. Especially when paying finance tax and insurance on a car I cannot drive. I am keeping my fingers crossed I have a solicitor now and am just waiting to hear from Nissan now as customer care have admitted the engine fault as have the dealership. At least they did that just need them to do the right thing now.

40. Went to px the car the Nissan dealer offered 8800 on a 15 plate Qashqai
    went to another dealer who first thing was looks great lets hear the engine as these are know for an engine problem.Had a listen said you can hear the rattle etc.Should be worth 9 grand plus but due to the work to rebuild the engine it don’t really want it and you have only come down to literally dump it off.
    Had a look at my agreement etc so advised mutual termination.
    Spoke to Nissan and said mutual termination is what Im after got to speak to rci finance on fri and will getting rid of the car.

41. I am currently having the same battle. 2015 1.2 Tekna purchased brand new, full service history with Nissan. Car brakes down last week and now being told new engine due to cylinder 3 failure. £7,500! Car has only done 30k odd miles. I have complained for years that the car is burning oil but always been fobbed off saying it’s fine it’s just because it’s a turbo and it will do that. Well I was not warned about this when being sold the car. The car broke down on the motorway with my 5 year old
    In. Nissan have put my child at risk. I also have a baby on the way and did not expect to be in this situation after spending £25k on a family car 5 years ago. Any advice would be very much appreciated.