Euro NCAP has revealed its annual ‘best in class’ winners for 2019.
The Mercedes-Benz A-Class, the smart Lexus ES and the hydrogen fuel cell Hyundai Nexo all achieved particularly high scores within their segments.
Euro NCAP secretary general, Michiel van Ratingen said: “In 2018 we introduced tough new tests, with a particular focus on Vulnerable Road User protection.
“The three Best in Class award winners this year all clearly demonstrate that car-makers are striving for the highest levels of protection and that Euro NCAP’s assessments are a catalyst for these crucial safety improvements.
“Euro NCAP put automated driving technology to the test in 2018 for the first time and our findings helped clarify some of the confusion motoring consumers are currently experiencing.
“Assisted driving systems can bring safety and convenience benefits but full automation is a long way off.
“We will follow and assess these developments closely and ensure that consumers have all the information they need when considering these new driver technologies.”
Safest cars tested by Euro NCAP in 2018
- Safest small family car: Mercedes A-Class
- Safest large family car: Lexus ES
- Safest large SUV: Hyundai Nexo
- Safest hybrid and electric car: Lexus ES
- Safest supermini: Volkswagen Polo (2017)
- Safest small MPV: Vauxhall Crossland X (2017)
- Safest large MPV: Ford Galaxy (2015)
- Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-Roc (2017)
- Safest executive: Volkswagen Arteon (2017)
- Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5 (2015)