What’s being done to protect the reputation of independent garages?

Home Page Forums Discussions General independent garage chat What’s being done to protect the reputation of independent garages?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

A recent Trading Standards sting in which a Halfords Autocentre was handed a £28,000 fine, ordered to pay costs of £11,700.97 and a victim surcharge o
    [See the full post at: What’s being done to protect the reputation of independent garages?]

#175259 Reply
    Steph Savill

Service standard checklists still need to be checked. Just because they exist doesn’t mean they are filled in properly. Some do this conscientiously, others just tick all boxes (not just independents btw) in my experience. The only standard we need is industry regulation, in my opinion, providing it comes with the teeth to name, shame and eject the cowboys who don’t put things right. Competing industry ie CTSI Code Of Practice schemes are as good as it gets but even they can be better re staff licensing/training.

#175261 Reply
    Dougal

Whilst I appreciate the efforts of the IGA I have decided not to get involved in Trust My Garage.
    When considering it I checked out the 2 most local members.
    One has a Google review rating of 3 stars with 40% of their reviews being 1 star.
    The other has a rating of 3.7 stars and 25% are 1 star.
    We have a rating of 4.8 stars, the lowest rating being 4 stars.
    Why would I want to let Jo Public think that my business is similar to these 2?

#175277 Reply
    Peter Miles

I’m afraid the fact is that you can join any scheme you want but it still doesn’t offer any guarantee that the quality of your work will be good or fair. I know that nobody deserves to be ripped off but, to some extent, with so many customers just looking for the lowest price they have themselves to blame. In that respect I also blame organisations like “who can fix my car” because the only comparison people have is the price. I’m sorry but I charge enough to make an honest living, not get rich just make a living, and I’m always busy often working 7 days a week simply because my customers trust me, as they should. I still welcome new customers but if they want cheap I very quickly lose interest. It’s an old saying but you can offer cheap, fast or good. Pick any two but you can’t have all three!

#175338 Reply
    Dougal

I think Peter is right, any such system is bound to fail occasionally and one high profile case damages all.
    Reputation is an individual thing, each must build their own and each must protect their own.

#177410 Reply
    Eddie Bamber

The best reputation is word of mouth from your customers, whether that be in the motor trade, the building trade or any other trade. My friend us a self employed joiner, he has never advertised for work for 40 years and is constantly busy. There are garages I know who have been in business for a long time, again, because of their reputation. This is the best recommendation for customers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

LEAVE A REPLY:

Reply To: What’s being done to protect the reputation of independent garages?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.