The owner of a Lamborghini is considering taking legal action after his £125,000 supercar went up in flames an hour after he picked it up from the dealership where it was serviced, The Mirror has reported.
Lak Sira, 22, claims he and his girlfriend were nearly killed when the incident happened and said Lamborghini Birmingham, where the car underwent a £10,000 service, have denied responsibility.
He added: “I was on the way to London with my girlfriend for a night out as I just had the car back and wanted to drive it around.
“We had only gone one junction when my girlfriend smelt petrol in the car, so I called the garage’s mechanic.
“He said ‘the car has just been for a service and it is usual to smell a bit of fuel’, so there wasn’t a problem.
“Smell of fuel”
“So we carried on a bit further and my girlfriend asked me to open the windows, because the smell of fuel had got that strong.
“I stopped on the hard shoulder, between J5 and J6, to remove the roof but then the next thing was we heard a loud bang, it was like a firework going off, and the back of my car caught fire.
“I just had to watch helplessly as the car which I had worked so hard to buy went up in smoke.
“We nearly died, if I didn’t pull over when I did, I dread to think what would have happened.
“It was very frightening and my girlfriend is scared to get in any car with me now.”
“Can’t believe it’s a coincidence”
Lak is to meet with his solicitor about taking legal action against the dealership and added: “I can’t believe it’s a coincidence that I’d only just had the car back from the garage.”
He said: “I worked 24/7 for four years in order to buy this car.
“I only had the car for a year and a half and I loved it.
“I paid £12,000 to get it gold plated and £10,000 on the service – and then this happens.
“I want answers because it clearly wasn’t safe to drive and if it had burst into flames as I was going along then we could have been killed.”
A West Midlands Fire Service spokeswoman confirmed that ten firefighters were sent to the scene at 8.54pm on Friday, using a hose-reel jet to drown out the car fire.
A spokesperson at Lamborghini Birmingham said: “The dealership is not making any comment on the matter.”
Share your comments below.