A 4.4-litre V8 engine for a BMW M5 was the most expensive car part sold on a popular auction website in 2023.
The purchase price was £12,272.77 – over £3,000 more than the part in second place: a carbon fibre monocoque and roof panel for a McLaren P1.
This is according to data released by eBay, which also revealed that ‘Snap-on’ was the most popular search term for car parts and accessories.
A spokesperson for eBay said: “Looking at our list of the 10 most expensive parts and accessories sold on eBay in 2023 demonstrates the diversity and breadth of what UK motoring enthusiasts have been working on. It includes everything from the building blocks of a modern hypercar and advanced brake technology to complete sports car engines.
“We’re seeing increasing numbers of electric vehicle parts being listed on the site and that is reflected in our rundown, with a complete battery pack for a Tesla Model 3 showing the value of so-called second-life EV batteries – we expect to see more and more of these as they have a variety of applications, many of which extend beyond reuse in an automotive context.”
Top 10 car parts and accessories of 2023
- BMW M5 compete engine: £12,272.77
- McLaren P1 carbon fibre monocoque and roof panel: £9,102
- BMW M3 and M4 ceramic brake system: £8,983.56
- BMW M5 complete engine: £8,636.10
- Mercedes-AMG GT carbon ceramic brakes: £8,411.87
- BMW X6 M50d engine: £8,268.17
- Porsche 911 engine: £8,277.11
- TSY 1 personalised plate: £8,182.11
- Audi Q7/Q8 diesel engine: £7,272.55
- Mercedes-AMG C 63 S engine and gearbox: £7,267.81