The Daily Record reported that Alex Davidson noticed smoke pouring from the engine and parked beside a convenience store before making a rapid retreat.
Moments later the 1980s classic was in flames.
Mr Davidson said: “I was happily making my way home and it just backfired with a bang.
“I have no idea what caused it – it’s been a hot day but I don’t think it was the heat.
“Within three seconds of me being out of the car the flames just shot out and they were about three feet high.”
According to Mr Davidson, the car was made of fibreglass and didn’t have any windows, doors or roof.
A spokesman for Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “We received the first call at 4.22pm yesterday and then received multiple calls relating to the same incident.
“Crews attended and one high pressure hose reel and breathing apparatus was used. The fire was extinguished at 4.32pm.”